Lighting and Color


        Welcome to the second post of the week and if you can tell by my last post you can tell that I have been very busy during the break. Since I was at a national competition, I did not have enough time to be able to edit a lot of the film opening. This week I’m going to work hard and try to get most of it done as soon as I can since the deadline is around the corner. 
        When we were filming, it was night so we had to find method of creating a kind of light that would match the mood of the film and not make it look like something it is not. We did not capture much of the lighting that we used during the shoot, but it turned out looking decent in the shot. We used a series of flashlights, even the phone light which gave the subject a soft light and didn’t make it too harsh. The reason we decided to use light from the phone is because it has different setting and we are able to adjust the light to what we want it to look like. When we used flashlights for a stinger light source, it was more difficult since we couldn’t change the settings because sometimes the light would be too harsh and I didn’t like how it was looking. We were able to diffuse the light with things like paper to diffuse it a little bit or put it under a shirt to diffuse it even more. In the end, the lighting was up to what I expected. 
        The color that the lights gave off on the other had wasn’t what I wanted it to turn out. It was more of a warm town giving the film a more housewarming feel. Like I discussed in a previous post, I wanted the lighting to have more cool tones, since I want to make it feel unsettling and make the audience have an edging feeling. Since I have experience color correcting shots, it should not be hard changing the color of the film and not make it to obvious of a change. This will be necessary since I want the feel of the film opening to be edgy like I stated before. I will be applying more cool tones by applying a blue undertone and make it more dull since that is what I am looking for while editing this film.
        I need to hurry up and get this done soon since I am running out of time and I need to edit and get this done. Wish me luck!

AMANDA CORTES



Before and after color correcting

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Location Revise

Sound

On screen Text